We create a sustainable future through innovative chemistry.
Infineum is a world leading formulator, manufacturer and marketer of petroleum additives for fuels and lubricants. Infineum additives are in 1 in 3 vehicles worldwide, and are designed to improve fuel efficiency, reduce emissions and enable cleaner transportations. With production facilities worldwide and regional business and technology centers in the UK, US, Singapore and China, there has never been a better time to start a career at Infineum.
Infineum’s successes are built on the exceptional talents of our bright and highly skilled colleagues.
Infineum brings together individuals from different backgrounds, cultures, and thinking styles providing remarkably different talents, perspectives, life and career experiences. We recognize that a diverse talent base creates an environment rich with innovation. We’re looking for motivated colleagues to join us where you can participate in relevant and challenging projects and we can offer the right environment for a high-performance career.
An opportunity has arisen for a commercially-minded patent attorney with a strong chemistry background to join the global Law Department of Infineum, based at one of its R&D locations in South Oxfordshire, UK or New Jersey, US.
The successful candidate will join a small, experienced team of in-house US, UK and European patent attorneys and administrators in providing a full IP service to the Infineum businesses. As an integral member of the Law Department, involvement in departmental and corporate initiatives can also be anticipated.
Infineum’s global research and development activity into additives for lubricants, fuels and other specialty chemical applications has undergone significant growth in recent years. With a large scientific client base, you can expect to:
• work closely with technical colleagues in identifying and developing new patenting (original patent drafting is an expected activity);
• take on the full range of in-house responsibilities as assigned, including infringement and validity assessments, IP-related agreement work, and general IP-related advice; and
• contribute to the development of the Law Department as it adapts to the changing needs of the business.
Whilst post-qualification experience will be advantageous, applications from more recently-qualified candidates with the right credentials and a desire to learn from experienced, supportive Law colleagues are equally welcomed. Whilst the role majors on patent practice, the capability to also provide some trademark and branding support could be differentiating.
The working approach of the Law Department is to handle its patent matters in-house wherever possible. You will want to work collaboratively with legal, technical and commercial colleagues, and enjoy the proximity to inventors and the business that working in-house provides. You will also need to be creative to see the IP opportunities arising within technical projects, and find practical commercial solutions to IP-related problems.
Current patent attorneys conduct their own proceedings before the USPTO and EPO Appeal Boards, and across the department there is much experience in contentious matters in the UK, US and Asia-Pacific regions. The role calls for confidence in direct representation work, alongside the ability to work effectively with outside counsel around the world where appropriate.
A successful candidate is likely to have:
• JD degree and a license to practice law in at least one US state.
• Admitted to at least one state bar and be in good standing.
• Registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), with at least 5 years’ practice experience (or less practice experience for candidates with a demonstrable desire to learn).
• Background and/or experience in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or relevant Material Science.
• Strong attention to detail, coupled with a sense of commercial realism.
• Experience in analysing the patentability of inventions and validity of patents, including preparation of patent applications and filing.
• Experience investigating infringement by third parties.
• Experience drafting and negotiating IP-related agreements.
• Ability to organize a heavy workload and demonstrate analytical abilities.
• Strong interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels within the business.
What We Offer:
• The opportunity to learn and grow. We believe there is no better way to learn than by doing, so from day one you will have the opportunity to make a real difference and develop the next generation of fuel and lubricant additives that will power transportation of the future.
• High levels of project management responsibilities
• Opportunity to gain patents for your innovative technologies
• Exposure across several key global groups and the opportunity to work with people from around the world, gaining an understanding of a commercial business as a whole
• Build a stimulating, long-term career with an inclusive company that values everyone as an individual.
• Competitive salary, medical and retirement benefits
• Community outreach activities & social clubs – Recognition, Inclusiveness & Diversity, Environmental
• Onsite medical, café, gym, fitness classes, sports teams and secure onsite parking
• Convenient to NYC, Airport & Public Transportation