We create a sustainable future through innovative chemistry.
Infineum is a world leading formulator, manufacturer and marketer of petroleum additives for fuels and lubricants. Infineum additives are in 1 in 3 vehicles worldwide, and are designed to improve fuel efficiency, reduce emissions and enable cleaner transportations. With production facilities worldwide and regional business and technology centers in the UK, US, Singapore and China, there has never been a better time to start a career at Infineum.
Infineum’s successes are built on the exceptional talents of our bright and highly skilled colleagues.
Infineum brings together individuals from different backgrounds, cultures, and thinking styles providing remarkably different talents, perspectives, life and career experiences. We recognize that a diverse talent base creates an environment rich with innovation. We’re looking for motivated colleagues to join us where you can participate in relevant and challenging projects and we can offer the right environment for a high-performance career.
We are a Specialty Chemicals Company with powerful research and development capabilities around innovative chemistry which has a vital role to play in sustainability. We provide products needed on the journey towards the electrification of mobility, while helping to make the internal combustion engine as clean as it can be. We also use our capabilities to generate sustainability advantages to countless new markets around the world.
Working in the AAA, Analytical & Process Development (A4&PD) team of Manufacturing Technology (MFT) promises to be very exciting. We work closely with the Technology, Manufacturing, and Procurement organizations to deliver projects in strategic areas such as supply security, process improvement & consistency and product quality. This position reports to the Manufacturing Technology Manager – A4&PD. The main responsibilities are about maintain up to date knowledge of what tools and approaches can be used to improve our manufacturing operation and technology research activities by using computational process modelling. The Process Technologist will be required to develop, to validate and to improve model as needed with the ultimate goal of gaining fundamental understanding on new or existing products and processes. The model may be based on engineering first principles, empiric (statistical) and mixed employing steady-state and dynamic simulation software tools preferably but not limited to Pro/II and gPROMS. Process Technologists are also expected to broaden their skills through collaboration with other groups as needed.
The colleague will be an internal expert on the use of the software tools and will be a resource to assist other colleagues in the use of the Infineum models and the software packages.
The modelling process includes, in addition to the modelling, justifying the basis for model development, describing the fundamental chemistry and physics of the process, developing experimental plans and analyzing & reconciling data among other tasks. The colleague will also be responsible for properly documenting and maintaining the models and promoting the use of models throughout Infineum.
Key Outputs: What we can expect from you
• Contribute to the improvement of existing process a) to continuously make them safer, more robust, and more efficient and b) to the adoption of a digitalized approach in the way we perform technical works
• Contribute to the fundamental understanding of existing and new products and processes
• Co-ordinate lab-based activities needed for supporting the modelling initiatives
• Lead diverse teams through the modeling process and deliver models meeting the project objectives
• Develop the process models (mathematical descriptions) and test and validate these models
• Own the documentation and maintenance of the Infineum model libraries
• Ensure communication and training in the use of models and the model libraries occurs to maximize the value of the libraries
• Champion the value of the process modelling within Infineum and identify opportunities to use process models
• Be an Infineum expert in the use of the first engineering principles and modelling software to solve fundamental engineering problems
• Maintain working relationships with the modelling software vendors and Universities, keep abreast of industry developments in the modelling area,
• Facilitate the knowledge transfer within MFT and with other functions such as Manufacturing and Technology
What skills will you gain from this role?
You will learn how to do applied research and process development in an industrial context, how to develop a process model from the data acquisition to the selection of the best fit for purpose model approach. You will learn about Manufacturing Technology, Manufacturing and Technology’s needs and develop relationships and influencing skills. You will participate in, and in some cases, lead global projects. You will practice project management skills, colleague supervision, and coaching. You will gain an understanding of how new technologies and knowledge are translated from the lab to commercial operations.
A successful candidate is likely to have:
University degree in Chemical Engineering supported by further qualifications, e.g. a relevant Ph.D. in process modelling or working experience, beyond degree level is required. Good process and chemistry background (preferably, but not exclusively in the organic and polymer fields), as well as knowledge of statistical methodologies are also desired. Knowledge of foreign languages, teamwork, relationship building, and excellent communication skills are essential to this position and can be developed in the job.
• Ability to search and use existing knowledge where applicable
• Teamwork and excellent oral and written communication skills are essential to succeed in this position
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently, balancing priorities and making independent and timely decisions
• A good understanding and working knowledge of the Infineum NPD process.
• Engineering first-principles process development and/or modeling experience.
• Expertise in chemical engineering preferably both from a modeling and experimental perspective.
• Experience with steady-state modelling simulations packages such as Pro/II®
• Experience with dynamic modelling simulation packages such as gPROMS® or another equation-oriented modelling tool.
• Programming (FORTRAN, C, C++) and CFD experience is helpful but not necessary.
• Manufacturing plant experience is desirable but not essential
• Project management and leadership experience would be an advantage
What We Offer:
• The opportunity to learn and grow. We believe there is no better way to learn than by doing, so from day one you will have the opportunity to make a real difference and develop the next generation of fuel and lubricant additives that will power transportation of the future.
• High levels of project management responsibilities
• Opportunity to gain patents for your innovative technologies
• Exposure across several key global groups and the opportunity to work with people from around the world, gaining an understanding of a commercial business as a whole
• Build a stimulating, long-term career with an inclusive company that values everyone as an individual.
• Competitive salary, medical and retirement benefits
• Community outreach activities & social clubs – Recognition, Inclusiveness & Diversity, Environmental
• Onsite medical, café, gym, fitness classes, sports teams and secure onsite parking
• Convenient to NYC, Airport & Public Transportation