30 June 2020
Throughout May, Infineum colleagues demonstrated their compassion and generosity by donating $690,000 to a wide range of charities around the world.
Covid-19 has caused extraordinary global disruption, with the charitable sector hit especially hard. Many charities are having to deliver additional services, to the most vulnerable in society, with fewer volunteers and staff members, at a time when traditional fundraising activities are simply not an option. This series of articles highlights how Infineum colleagues support their local communities and make a real difference to the quality of people’s lives.
Products such as hand sanitiser are vital in stopping the spread of coronavirus, and colleagues at our site in Cologne literally took matters into their own hands when global demand hit site supplies.
Infineum Cologne has been blending their own ‘homemade gel’ to disinfect surfaces. Colleagues secured the reagent glycerin which is necessary to make the gel skin-friendly and started to make their own hand sanitiser from April.
Mirco Selbach, HSSE Engineer, explained:
We can’t get any hand sanitiser from a normal producer in these challenging times, so we’ve come up with another solution
Mirco also emphasised the other steps Cologne colleagues have taken to support their local community at such a difficult time, which include:
• Providing 200 litres of Isopropanol to their local fire department so they can blend their own disinfectants for hands and surfaces
• Supporting the local health care system by giving face masks and safety goggles to care institutions as many are out of stock of these essential items
• Donating meals for homeless people in Cologne who are unprotected so particularly need help
At a time when people are separated because of the coronavirus, they are also becoming even closer than before the crisis
If you would like to read other stories from this series, please click on the links:
• An incredible result for Infineum Covid-19 charity initiative
• Infineum colleagues donate vital PPE in Brazil
• A very generous $20,000 gesture from Singapore
• Helping protect local children in Zhangjiagang