Infineum is a world leading formulator, manufacturer and marketer of petroleum additives for lubricants and fuels. Infineum additives are in 1 in 3 vehicles worldwide and are designed to improve fuel efficiency, reduce emissions and enable cleaner transportations.
We are currently seeking a Technologist with experience in synthetic polymer chemistry to join the Component Delivery team at Milton Hill. This is a great opportunity to design and synthesise next generation materials for the lubricant additive business. There are also opportunities to influence multiple business interfaces (Lubes Science project teams focused on performance differentiation, Innovation, Manufacturing Technology, external outsourcing and Safety) to help deliver the new chemical components the business needs.
What you will be doing
- Act as team’s focal point for polymer synthesis, developing a variety of materials from gram to multiple kg scale (the latter with support from the team’s large-scale experts)
- Advise on synthetic routes and experimental set-ups to deliver materials in a time-efficient manner
- Act as technical lead in discussions with external chemical outsourcing organisations
- Steer safety initiatives to continue to build on the strong safety culture, deliver risk assessments and consistently demonstrate the highest standards of safety and quality
- Supervise, develop & coach laboratory-based chemists
- Provide material design solutions to a variety of programs to enable performance teams to solve current and future capability challenges
- Communicate progress, issues and delivery through a variety of communication media.
What will you gain from this role?
- Ability to apply established and novel polymerisation methodologies to make next generation materials
- Opportunity to influence laboratory set-up & equipment to support business synthesis needs
- Impart your experience and knowledge to a variety of skill bases and team members
- Gain appreciation of factors which impact lubricant additive business
- Acquire a greater understanding of market opportunities (short - long term)
- Development of external outsourcing relationships
- Build personal network extensively across a range of Infineum functions (in and out of Technology)
A successful candidate is likely to have
- Excellent polymer chemistry background
- Strong track record of delivering materials to tight timescales within a research & development environment
- Notable experience in the use of (controlled) radical polymerisation techniques and post-polymerisation modification approaches
- Additional experience in an area of cationic, anionic, emulsion and/or condensation polymerisation is desirable
- Strong safety focus including a demonstrated ability to deliver high quality risk assessments, make solid safety recommendations when faced with obstacles and influence changes to work differently based on learnings from near miss reporting
- Capability to implement creativity solutions to technical problems
- Ability to work effectively as an individual and as part of multi-cultural, cross-functional teams across a wide range of projects