Responsible Care is a global initiative that is practiced currently in 53 national associations, which share a common commitment to advancing the safe and secure management of chemical products and processes.
The initiative aims for continuous improvement in all aspects of health, safety, environmental and security performance.
- To lead in ethical ways that increasingly benefit society, the economy and the environment.
- To design and develop products that can be manufactured, transported, used and disposed of or recycled safely.
- To work with customers, carriers, suppliers, distributors and contractors to foster the safe and secure use, transport and disposal of chemicals and provide hazard and risk information that can be accessed and applied in their operations and products.
- To design and operate facilities in a safe, secure and environmentally sound manner.
- To instill a culture throughout all levels of the organizations to continually identify, reduce and manage process safety risks.
- To promote pollution prevention, minimization of waste and conservation of energy and other critical resources at every stage of the life cycle of products.
- To cooperate with governments at all levels and organizations in the development of effective and efficient safety, health, environmental and security laws, regulations and standards.
- To support education and research on the health, safety, environmental effects and security of products and processes.
- To communicate product, service and process risks to stakeholders and listen to and consider their perspectives.
- To make continual progress toward a goal of no accidents, injuries or harm to human health and the environment from products and operations and openly report health, safety, environmental and security performance.
- To seek continual improvement in the integrated Responsible Care Management System® to address environmental, health, safety and security performance.
- To promote Responsible Care by encouraging and assisting other companies to adhere to these Guiding Principles.
These guiding principles are the cornerstone of our commitment to the Responsible Care programme.
Chief executives of companies that are members of chemical or chemistry associations pledge that their organisations will demonstrate a commitment to sustainable development and continual improvement.Back to top